Sunday, January 15, 2006

Professional Sports, and why I hate them


I witnessed a surprising victory by the Pittsburgh Steelers (sorry SAJ) over the Indianapolis Colts today. My thoughts instantly went to my beloved Ottawa Senators as a reminder of how we are constantly phenomenal during the regular season and spotty in the playoffs.

I'm trying to find parallels in other sports as well. Could the Atlanta Braves be considered in the same vein? True they have won the World Series in there. Since 1990, the Braves have appeared in the World Series 5 times, but have only closed out one series with a victory. They won it in '95 over the Indians, but got beat out twice by the Yankees, once by the Twins, and once in a glorious moment by the Blue Jays. I don't know enough about the NBA to know if there's any team there that has performed steadily in the regular season but never won it all. Utah Jazz in the Malone/Stockton days maybe. Little help on this one?

The other pro sports phenomenon that I would LOVE to see some slacker do his/her thesis on (lookin at you Johns) is the occurence of sports triangles. Case in point: Toronto has Ottawa's number in the playoffs. It's a reality I've come to grips with. However, Ottawa has no trouble with Philly when we meet them. Toronto on the other hand can't beat Philly. How does Philly loses to Ottawa loses to Toronto loses to Philly work??? I really don't get it.

Oh, my admittance above that I have come to grips with the Leafs beating the Sens inside and out in the playoffs doesn't make me any less convinced that the Sens are winning it all this year.

'Cause they are.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?