Thursday, October 27, 2005

Smooth 'n Fruity

I don't really have much to say today. Oh, I know - I need feedback on something.

Yesterday I had two midterms. My first was at 10:30, second at 11:30. For those of you who know campus, Botterell and Goodes respectively. My first one was 20% of a fourth year conservation biology course, which I need to graduate. My second was 35% of a second year commerce course in Organizational Behaviour. It is an elective, but likely to be more related to what I actually go into as a career. Needless to say I was torn on which was the priority.

I spent the whole weekend studying for these two midterms instead of going to the football game in London with the Bands. I should have been there. We lost badly, but I still should have been there. Don't worry, the feedback portion is coming soon.

So I got to my first midterm on time, feeling relatively good about both upcoming exams. I started writing and quickly realized I was going to run short on time. The exam was two short answer questions, choose 2 of 3 more short answers, and an essay on your choice of 2 topics. At 11:10, the prof realized a lot of people were coming up short and said we could put our essays in point-form. This helped a bit, but I was still getting anxious about my second test. I ended up leaving the first one at 11:35, and was the first one out of the room.

Now, my second exam was in Goodes. I missed the bus by about 30 seconds, so that wasn't an option. Many of you know how slow a walker I am to begin with. Well, I'm currently operating with two dislocated toes on one foot and a recovering ankle on the other. Needless to say, I wasn't running to Goodes. I got there as quickly as I could, 17 minutes late. Luckily it was a 1.5 hour exam, so I didn't lose as big a proportion of my writing time.

Unluckily for me, I was so flustered about the fact that a) the first exam had gone overtime and b) I was late for a midterm worth 35% that I couldn't write anything for almost 25 minutes. I mean, BOOM. Mind went completely blank. If my prof had been watching me closely, she must've seen me panicking. Anyways, I calmed down around 12:15 or so and wrote down what I could. I bombed the exam BIG time. I'm not going to say I would've aced it if the conditions had been optimal, but I did WAY worse than I should have.

Now here is where I ask for feedback. I'm meeting with my prof tomorrow to talk about what happened. I'm going to ask her to re-weight the midterm for me so that it's worth less of my final mark. I think it's a fair request really. How much should I go for? I think down to 25 or 20 from 35 wouldn't be out of order. I mean, if this was truly indicative of my performance in the course, then the reweighting wouldn't matter. I'd get the same mark on the final and it would be apparent. However, if I was a 'victim' of circumstance, then my mark should go up.

What do you think?

Ps. My title comes from the yogourt container in front of me. I was really really uncreative today.

Comments:
Hi Kev

Stumbled across your blog via Steve-os. Looking forward to reading more.

Irish Tim

PS They are showing the Leafs/Sens game this sat on tv in Ireland!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?