Sunday, October 09, 2005

Frustration? You betcha!

Anyone who has had technology go awry on them will sympathize with me on this one.

It is currently Thanksgiving Sunday, and I'm at the library. Not even reading, but working on a stupid assignment for a class I picked up on a whim. Turns out this class isn't as easy as I thought, but that's not my issue. Nor is the fact that I'm doing this assignment alone (my partner is going to do the next one on her own). My gripe is that I'm a complete retard.

I signed out one of Stauffer's laptops to work at a larger desk. I just like to be able to move around if I want to, so I didn't sit at one of the larger workstations (that I'm at now). After working for about an hour and a half and getting a fair bit done, I diligently saved my files, shut down the computer, and packed it away to be returned by the assigned time. So far, so good.

What I failed to do was email myself the files I had JUST saved. The library's computers have a nice feature where all non-essential files (ie those that don't directly contribute to the operation of the computer) get deleted everytime you shut the computer down. Naturally, my files (spreadsheet with charts and word file) got deleted in the process. Someone at ITS was thinking ahead and told them to empty the recycle bin each time too.

So here I am, sitting in the library on Sunday of a long weekend at 4:20 PM without anything to show for my time here. Moreover, I'm too fucking angry at myself to settle down and just re-do it today. I really needed to get that out of the way today too because I have two midterms and a term paper outline this week that I haven't even started to think about yet. There's no point in even starting it right now because it's one of those things that you have to do in one go or you'll lose your train of thought and it won't make sense the next time.

Basically, I've set myself up for a pain in the ass day tomorrow. I have to finish this tomorrow, clean my room, recover from eating a whole turkey, clean my room again, and get my midterm/term paper stuff in order and ready to go at the drop of a hat.

On the plus side, the Sens are 2-0 with wins over the Laffs and the Sabres, my fantasy pools are going alright with some decent aquisitions and lots of trade offers coming my way, my family is in town so I'll be getting a wicked turkey dinner right before sitting in front of a BIG ass TV with lots of beer and a fire, and I'm getting over a cold that has been bugging me for over a week.

But holy fuck, I hate that laptop right now.

Comments:
Poor Sven. If it's any consolation, you're not the only one who's stupid. My last two Chem labs, I've left printing them til the last minute. My computer has then crashed, as if on cue. I have therefore been late to both labs. You'd think I would've learned the first time. No such luck. Grrr.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?